Monday, April 15, 2013

When You Can No Longer Claim Proficiency at Something You Were Once Proficient

Music, while the bliss of my existence, sometimes pains me. It's always better than me. No matter how far I get or what I accomplish, there's always something I cannot do. For example, I've been putting my soul into viola work. But on the flip side, I've been ignoring my voice and vocal work, another talent at which I enjoy claiming proficiency. But there's something really heart-wrenching about the day you realize you probably should no long consider yourself proficient at something. And that day is today for me with singing.
I've been a great singer for as long as I can remember. As an older child I took lessons and even joined an acclaimed children's choir. Off and on during my pre-teen years I also took lessons. But alas, the more serious I became about viola, the less time I had to practice voice and to go to voice lessons, which lessons eventually dwindled into nonexistence. And so, I haven't had lessons for several years.
I still sing, though. Whenever I sing, my soul is lighter than it was starting out. Singing makes me so happy. So, it's no wonder how upsetting it is that I can no longer hit the notes I used to reach and do not have the same fluidity and grace in my voice. It makes me want to cry.
Fortunately for me, however, I've carved out time this summer for more voice lessons! I'm soooo excited! It's going to be great! Maybe after another few months of lessons I'll feel confident singing solos again. What a joy that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment